Sat 19 June, 3pm & 7pm
Part of Summer at Snape
Mercury Award winning musician and composer Talvin Singh gives two different performances with classical and contemporary Indian instruments and percussion.
Esteemed Percussionist and Indian Music Polymath Talvin Singh, winner of the Mercury Music Prize and South Bank Arts Award, presents solo performances which include what he describes as the ‘the vital element of sonic therapy within the structures of Indian music and sound design’.
RAAGA: The afternoon concert will feature a solo performance of surbahar and ambient drones to explore a sonic therapy soundscape.
The surbahar is a rare string instrument and is often called the bass sitar. The slow modulation of the instrument and its wide pitch range helps to project a therapeutic and enriching sonic experience and this set, to a landscape of textured drones and field recordings of nature, will project a blissful sound experience.
TAALA: The evening concert will be a tabla solo accompanied by melodic loops with live electronics, which will progress from classical tabla repertoire to contemporary beat culture.
Tabla is one of the most versatile percussion instruments and has a contemporary aura today as well as sustaining the classical repertoire of the instrument. The solo performance will celebrate the instrument’s musical traditions and roots, as well as how it lends itself to the musical world of today.
Tickets for these concerts go on sale at 10am on Saturday 15 May.
Your safety and that of our artists and staff is our top priority and so some things will be different to what you’re used to. Key changes are:
- Reduced capacity in the Concert Hall, with socially distant seating.
- Shorter performances with no interval.
- Audience members will need to wear face-coverings (unless they are exempt as per the Government’s guidelines).
- No printed material – no tickets, programmes, or programme notes.
- Clear signs and helpful staff to make your visit straightforward.
- Regular and thorough cleaning, with hand sanitiser for you.