Andrew Staples & Alisdair Hogarth: Song and Piano recital
Sun 27 June, 3pm3pm: Pay what you can
Snape Maltings Concert Hall
Part of Summer at Snape
Andrew Staples and Alisdair Hogarth perform songs and piano music by Britten and Stephen Hough's new work which is inspired by the 13th-century Persian poet and mystic, Rumi.
During the first lockdown, Andrew Staples and Alisdair Hogarth challenged Stephen Hough to write a piece for them that embraced the difficulties that social distancing presents to live music-making. Hough responded by writing a piece which uses modular elements. When separate, they act as mournful isolated folksongs or aching piano solos. But, when overlapped, they become parts that complete each other. Six ‘fragments’ become three ‘songs’ as vocal line accompanies piano layer, and piano solo accompanies vocal line. The result is a cycle that is formed by reconstruction of its own constituent parts. It is a fascinating piece, here receiving its premiere with a live audience, and with additional richness provided by its juxtaposition with music by Britten.
Andrew Staples tenor
Alisdair Hogarth piano
Britten Nocturne from On this Island (4′)
Stephen Hough Songs from Isolation (first performance with live audience, 20′)
Britten Nocturne (6′)
Anon. There’s none to soothe (2’)
Britten Holiday Diary; Folksong arrangements (20′)
Stephen Hough Lullaby (2′)
Concert length: approx. 75 minutes, with no interval
Tickets for these concerts go on sale at 10am on Saturday 15 May.
Your safety and that of our artists and staff is our top priority and so some things will be different to what you’re used to. Key changes are:
- Reduced capacity in the Concert Hall, with socially distant seating.
- Shorter performances with no interval.
- Audience members will need to wear face-coverings (unless they are exempt as per the Government’s guidelines).
- No printed material – no tickets, programmes, or programme notes.
- Clear signs and helpful staff to make your visit straightforward.
- Regular and thorough cleaning, with hand sanitiser for you.