ETO: Lyric Solitude 1
Friday 23 October, 3pmTickets: Pay What You Can
Snape Maltings Concert Hall
Part of Weekend Concerts at Snape
Presented by English Touring Opera, Dominick Argento’s one act opera A Water Bird Talk is both light-hearted and melancholy in equal measure.
Through an illustrated lecture on the subject of water birds, an ornithologist uses descriptions of the birds’ peculiar habits as metaphors for his own oppressive marriage. Each song-like section of the drama describes a different species, and onto each he projects his own feelings – to the evident concern of his wife in the audience, whose bird-like coughs interrupt his lyric digressions. Light hearted and melancholy in equal measure.
Susan Bickley, widely regarded as one of the most accomplished mezzo-sopranos of her generation, makes her directorial debut, and the pianist is Ella O’Neill. Sung in English. Adapted by Dominick Argento from the On the Harmfulness of Tobacco by Anton Chekov and The Birds of America by J. J. Audobon. A contemporary opera, premiered in 1977.
Julien Van Mellaerts baritone
Ella O’Neill piano
Susan Bickley director
Argento A Water Bird Talk
Tickets for this performance go on sale at 10am on Saturday 17 October. Maximum 4 tickets per household.
We want everyone to have the opportunity to experience live music again, and so the afternoon performances will be ‘Pay What You Can’, meaning you can see amazing live music at a price that you feel able to afford.
Food & Drink
Your safety and that of our artists and staff is our top priority and so some things will be different to what you’re used to. Key changes are:
- Reduced capacity in the Concert Hall, with socially distant seating. Tickets are limited to 4 per household.
- Shorter performances with no interval.
- Audience members will need to wear face-coverings (unless they are exempt as per the Government’s guidelines).
- No printed material – no tickets, programmes, or programme notes.
- Clear signs and helpful staff to make your visit straightforward.
- Regular and thorough cleaning, with hand sanitiser for you.