Sun 13 June, 3pm & 7pm
Part of Summer at Snape
A rare chance to hear the full set of Britten's five Canticles, here performed by a group of outstanding musicians.
Britten’s Canticles are a series of intensely personal and spiritual but not overtly religious works composed over four decades, each packed with deeply emotional content.
Britten’s responses to the texts range from the beautiful, sensuous imagery of the first, punctuated by the regular refrain ‘I my best beloved’s am – so he is mine’, to the fifth, a remarkable late work setting words by T.S. Eliot.
Allan Clayton tenor
Feargal Mostyn-Williams counter tenor
Roderick Williams baritone
Ben Goldscheider horn
Olivia Jageurs harp
James Baillieu piano
Canticle I My Beloved is Mine (8’)
Canticle II Abraham and Isaac (16’)
Canticle III Still Falls the Rain (12’)
Canticle IV Journey of the Magi (12’)
Canticle V The Death of St. Narcissus (8’)
Concert length: approx. 60 minutes, with no interval
Tickets for these concerts go on sale at 10am on Saturday 15 May.
Your safety and that of our artists and staff is our top priority and so some things will be different to what you’re used to. Key changes are:
- Reduced capacity in the Concert Hall, with socially distant seating.
- Shorter performances with no interval.
- Audience members will need to wear face-coverings (unless they are exempt as per the Government’s guidelines).
- No printed material – no tickets, programmes, or programme notes.
- Clear signs and helpful staff to make your visit straightforward.
- Regular and thorough cleaning, with hand sanitiser for you.