Sun 20 June, 3pm & 7pm3pm: Pay what you can / 7pm: £25
Snape Maltings Concert Hall
Part of Summer at Snape
Music for tenor, horn and string orchestra, including Britten's Serenade and featured composer Tansy Davies' Yoik for solo horn.
To mark the centenary of the horn player Dennis Brain, Allan Clayton, Pip Eastop and Aurora Orchestra perform one of Britten’s most loved works, the Serenade, written for Brain and Peter Pears. We hear grief-stricken echoes of the Serenade in the fragments of the piece Britten started to write when Brain died aged just 36 but left unfinished.
In Tansy Davies’ piece for solo horn, inspired by the traditions of the Sami people of northern Scandinavia, we hear the instrument’s remarkable range, from serene and lyrical to wild and ritualistic. String orchestra works by Elgar and Kate Whitley complete the programme.
Allan Clayton tenor
Pip Eastop horn
Nicholas Collon conductor
Tansy Davies Yoik (8’)
Kate Whitley Autumn Songs (11’)
Britten Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings (24’ )
Britten In Memoriam Dennis Brain (4’)
Elgar Introduction and Allegro (15’)
Concert length: approx. 65 minutes, with no interval
Tickets for these concerts go on sale at 10am on Saturday 15 May.
Your safety and that of our artists and staff is our top priority and so some things will be different to what you’re used to. Key changes are:
- Reduced capacity in the Concert Hall, with socially distant seating.
- Shorter performances with no interval.
- Audience members will need to wear face-coverings (unless they are exempt as per the Government’s guidelines).
- No printed material – no tickets, programmes, or programme notes.
- Clear signs and helpful staff to make your visit straightforward.
- Regular and thorough cleaning, with hand sanitiser for you.